Total Number of Challenges Completed:

Saturday, May 24, 2014

"You have a tremendous capacity to do good in the world"

Reflecting back on my life I can think of many times that my family and I have been the recipient of people providing service for us. I can also remember the times that I have provided service to those in need. I recall my gratitude and happiness that I had from others giving their time, talents and kindness to help me. I know that the times when I provide service to others, the feelings I have are of pure happiness and a sense of self worth.

I read an article in April issue of the Ensign titled Lasting Happiness. The article mentioned the use of our personal strengths for service. It said, “Happy people use their personal strengths to bless the lives of others. I believe that to be true.

President Gordon B Hinckley said, “Every one of you was endowed by your Father in Heaven with a tremendous capacity to do good in the world. Train your minds and your hands that you may be equipped to serve well in the society of which you are a part. Cultivate the art of being kind, of being thoughtful, of being helpful. Refine within you the quality of mercy which comes as a part of the divine attributes you have inherited” (“The Light within You,” Ensign, May 1995, p. 99).

 I know that when we are providing a service to someone that we are answering the needs and prayers of others. Whether is it being kind to someone, smiling at someone or giving service by other means, we are making a difference in the world. I know that as we serve others we are closer to our Heavenly Father. I testify, that I know that as we serve others and do what President Hinckley said, we can be closer to our Heavenly Father, and our hands can truly be Jesus’ hands. 

Love, Sister Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment