Total Number of Challenges Completed:

Sunday, June 29, 2014

How has service changed you?

It's been three months since we introduced our challenge.  Give a hug, pray for opportunities, send a note, do kind acts, and smile.  Have you seen a difference in your life?

I decided that I wanted to focus my acts of service on my family.  I have four teenagers in my home and sometimes it doesn't feel like there is a lot of love.  So I smiled, when I wanted to scowl, and I hugged, when I wanted to walk away.  I tried to do acts of service for them.  I sent them goofy text messages.  I admit, that there have been too many times that my thoughts ran along the line of, "All I do is serve them!  I cook, I do laundry, I clean, I chauffeur..."  I was going through the motions, but lacking true intent.  The smiles and the hugs went a long way towards helping me be less grumpy, but I didn't feel like I was really invested.

As I reviewed what I was doing, I realized that I was missing a piece.  I need to ask in prayer to be directed how I could serve. There is so much power in prayer.  As I asked my Heavenly Father how I could serve my family, I began to have increased understanding of how they were feeling.   I received promptings about when to talk to them and what to say.  I was humbled by Heavenly Father's love for my children and my husband, and how willing He was to help me help them.

I bear testimony that this is what it is about.  Heavenly Father wants, no needs, us to help others.  He loves them, but he relies on us to serve them. This knowledge continues to change me.  And, if you let it, it can change you.
Sis. Norris

No comments:

Post a Comment