Total Number of Challenges Completed:

Friday, June 20, 2014

Who Needs a Hug?

Here are a few fun facts about hugging that will help you as you reach your goal to hug daily.

* Hugging increases feelings of safety, security, trust, strength, healing, self worth, belonging, happiness and appreciation

* A hug encourages bonding by increasing the levels of oxytocin (a feel good hormone) in the body

* Studies show that IQ development is delayed in children who don’t receive hugs. Those that lack hugs start walking, talking and reading later

* According to a survey taken in America, marriages where hugging or touching are present, last longer than those without

* A brief hug with a friend is equivalent to 10 minutes of handholding and greatly reduces stress

* People crave 13 hugs a day – but most don’t receive this many :(

* A hug normally lasts 9.5 seconds

* On average, people spend an hour a month, hugging

* As hugging increases oxytocin and reduces cortisol (a stress hormone) – it leads us to a 
healthy heart and lower blood pressure

* Hugs also lower our heart rate, promoting a calming effect

* Full body hugs stimulate the nervous system

* Hugs decrease the feeling of loneliness, helps up combat fear, increases self-esteem, affirms relationships, defuses tension and shows appreciation.


The first time I met my the woman who turned out to be mother-in-law she gave me a great big hug.  I didn't even even know this woman and she was giving me the biggest hug I'd ever had!  Can you imagine how welcome and valued I felt in her presence?  Since meeting her, I determined never to be selfish with my hugs.
How does hugging make you feel? How often do you hug someone? How often does someone hug you?

Love (and hugs),
Sister McDougal

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE HUGS!! I'm a girl that would take a hug over a kiss, chocolate, candy. I would take a hug ANYDAY and ANYTIME. for any one who wants one. (unless there are creepy). but tight long hugs make me feel safe loved, and special! a hug can also make my day((x

    ReplyDelete